I've moved many times over the past 6 years now, due to graduating college and different job/life paths. I'm pretty settled in at my new location, and actually have most of my items unpacked for once. I usually never fully unpacked because I knew where I was living was temporary. It's nice to be more settled because I can actually feel (somewhat) settled physically and mentally.
Regular things in irregular times. These past 6 years have been irregular, but I'm finding little things to maintain some regular continuity -
- Hanging pictures of family and friends on the fridge.
- This has helped so much, and I always took it for granted at home growing up. My fridge growing up always had family and friends and I never took ownership of doing this myself for my fridges. Seeing real pictures of my family friends, and not digital ones, has raised my spirits.
- Tracking my student loans.
- I have a spreadsheet that I've been using for over 5 years to track my student loans. Having the same spreadsheet for so long has helped to "ground me". I've been using the same form and working towards the same goal, paying my loans off, for over 5 years now.
- Getting a local library card
- Going to the library and checking out books, even though I usually don't completely read the book, helps me feel more connected to my local community.
If you're feeling unsettled in a new place, you can try doing these things. I believe there are a lot of things necessary to feel settled in a new place, but these are three things you can do on your own.
Thanks for reading.